Dear UREC Students & Members,
As we move toward the new year, we are excited to share the success and coming conclusion of the UREC Expansion and Redesign. We would not be able to achieve this landmark of success without the vision and commitment by the LSU students to leave a legacy for future generations. Our team is excited that in 2017 we will complete the project and celebrate our 25th Anniversary of University Recreation in this location. Both will be fantastic accomplishments.
In December we will see the closure of the running track and upper stretching area in order to connect the two tracks together and install the new Tiger Tail track surface. This closure will last until the project is complete. Please pardon our progress as we move towards the home stretch of the project.
Of the many things you can anticipate when we open the new area in February:
- 185 new pieces of cardio equipment to include treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, rowers & step mills
- 200 + new pieces of weight training equipment
- Indoor functional training ramp that is 25 yards long and has a 20% incline
- Outdoor leisure river and lap pools
- Power lifting room
- Climbing gym with 35 foot climbing tower and 75 foot bouldering wall
- Functional training studio
- Social stair case area for meeting up with your friends
- Gaming area to include billiard tables and table tennis
- 2 slam walls for fitness conditioning
- Return of Tigers Den Summer Camp in Summer 2017
- Return of swimming lessons for children & adults in Summer 2017
- UREC administrative offices located outside of access control
- Return of Smoothie King
After the “flip” is activated, we will remodel the current facility that is open. The scope of this project will include finishing the locker rooms, refinishing the west gyms, updating lighting, flooring, and painting of all racquetball courts, and opening the new classrooms. Also, the highly anticipated Smoothie King will return to UREC. This April, we are planning a celebration with Student Government leaders of past and present. Please feel free to peruse our website and follow us on our social media platforms to find out about upcoming program registration dates and deadlines. We wish you all a successful and healthy winter break and we look forward to a successful 2017!
On behalf of the UREC Team,
Executive Director, LSU University Recreation