Our Clear Water, Green Heart campaign is back! Head to the SRC, fill up your water bottle 10 times over the course of the next two months when you come to workout, and score a guest pass or a reusable grocery tote!
A month later and our garden is still going strong! Check out pictures and more from UREC’s very own garden!
Tomatoes, peppers, and squash….learn more about UREC’s newly planted garden and how it utilizes sustainability efforts through composting of food scraps.
- Using only “green” cleaning solutions throughout facilities.
- Utilizing online registrations for GroupXclasses, Intramural Sports, and all student staff scheduling.
- Minimizing waste stream by recycling everything from computers to paper.
- Recycling food scraps to create food compost for garden.
- Promoting use of water bottle filling stations instead of bottled water through distribution of refillable water bottles as promotional items.
- Increasing participants’ environmental awareness through adventure-based trips.
- Providing free 2 hour bike rentals for our students to get to and from classes, or go exercise.
- Installing automated lights, faucets, and toilets in high use areas.
Buy used clothing. Lots of people do this to save money, but it's also a great thing to do for the environment. Reusing clothes decreases the use of resources to make clothing and puts a dent in the problem of worldwide sweatshops.
UREC Commitment to Sustainability
LSU UREC is committed to making intentional choices that positively impact our ability to become more sustainable. We believe it is important to continually assess our social, environmental, and economic impacts to ensure that we are making informed decisions, which account for short and long term sustainability. This is not a means to an end; it is a viewpoint through which all decisions are based.