Our Clear Water, Green Heart campaign is back! Head to the SRC, fill up your water bottle 10 times over the course of the next two months when you come to workout, and score a guest pass or a reusable grocery tote!
On November 12, 2013 15 students from LSU’s College of Art & Design installed four interactive projects at the
Student Recreation Center. The students, enrolled in a class entitled [UP]cycling > [down]cycling (ARCH 4041), created sustainable projects to be on display.
A month later and our garden is still going strong! Check out pictures and more from UREC’s very own garden!
- Using only “green” cleaning solutions throughout facilities.
- Utilizing online registrations for GroupXclasses, Intramural Sports, and all student staff scheduling.
- Minimizing waste stream by recycling everything from computers to paper.
- Recycling food scraps to create food compost for garden.
- Promoting use of water bottle filling stations instead of bottled water through distribution of refillable water bottles as promotional items.
- Increasing participants’ environmental awareness through adventure-based trips.
- Providing free 2 hour bike rentals for our students to get to and from classes, or go exercise.
- Installing automated lights, faucets, and toilets in high use areas.
Use Reusable Bags
Use reusable bags instead of plastic bags to reduce waste and save space in landfills. It’s estimated that the world consumes a million plastic bags each minute. It can take about 1,000 years for plastic to degrade in a landfill! Fill up your Clean Water Green Heart card by November 21st to get your LSU UREC reusable bag!
UREC Commitment to Sustainability
LSU UREC is committed to making intentional choices that positively impact our ability to become more sustainable. We believe it is important to continually assess our social, environmental, and economic impacts to ensure that we are making informed decisions, which account for short and long term sustainability. This is not a means to an end; it is a viewpoint through which all decisions are based.