Check out the Spring 2018 Adventure Education line-up!
Registration for Fall 2017 Adventure Trips is open! Save your spot before it’s too late.
Monday – Friday: 3:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: 12:00 – 6:00 p.m.
UREC Climbing Rules and Regulations
- Patrons must check in at climbing area desk before entering the climbing area.
- No loose chalk.
- Closed toed shoes required.
- Socks must be worn with rental shoes.
- Do not climb directly over other participants.
- Patrons may not move or create hand or foot holds.
- Only spill-resistant and shatter-proof drinking bottles are allowed in the climbing area.
- Personal belongings should be stored in a day-use locker.
- Patrons must pass the belay test before belaying other climbers.
- Only one climber per rope lane on the climbing tower.
- Spotting is encouraged for patrons bouldering. Down climbing is preferred!
- Only two active climbers per seven feet (width) in the bouldering zone.
- Patrons are not permitted to boulder above 12 feet, at hand height.
- Any accident / incident must be reported immediately to the nearest UREC staff.
- UREC staff hold the right to suspend climbing area privileges at any time.
- Patrons must use proper “climbing commands” before climbing.
- Patrons must perform a proper “toe-2-toe” check before climbing.
- Patrons must utilize the PBUS (Pull, Break, Under, Slide) method when belaying.
- Belay devices must be attached to the participant’s harness by means of a locking carabiner.
- Patrons are not permitted to climb above top rope anchors.
- Only the Figure-eight follow-through knot is to be used to tie-in climbers.
- All lead climbing patrons must perform and pass the lead climbing test and skills check with competency before lead climbing.
- Patrons will use a provided harness, or a harness that has been examined by the climbing area staff to determine its suitability. Personal gear must be either CE or UIAA certified.
- Patrons must belay with CE or UIAA certified belay devices. Figure 8 devices are not to be used in the climbing area.
- Patrons are not permitted to share rental gear.
- Inform UREC staff of any loose, broken, or missing holds immediately.
- Climbing lessons-in-progress have priority use of wall areas. Staff may ask patrons to move to another area at any time.
- Personal training of patrons, either individually or in a group, is only allowed under the supervision UREC climbing area staff.
- No topping out – climbing on top of the bouldering zone wall – in the bouldering zone.
- Seamless flooring is designed for “feet first” impact. Down climbing is always recommended.
- Participants are encouraged to always utilize a spotter when on the bouldering wall.
- Bouldering is not permitted in the top rope area.
- Personal belongings are not permitted on the bouldering area landing surface.
Any violation of the rules and regulations listed above may result in removal/suspension from UREC facilities and/or activities and may result in referral to police and the Office of Student Conduct.