Participants who successfully complete course will receive Lifeguarding/First Aid and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer valid for 2 years.
Participants must be at least 15 years of age prior to the final day of the course. Parent signature required for participants under the age of 18 years old. Participants will be required to pass the American Red Cross lifeguarding prerequisites prior to continuing in the course. They should take time prior to the start of the course to practice and prepare.
- Participants are required to swim 300 yards alternating front crawl and breaststroke. There is no time limit for this portion, however they cannot stop at any point.
- Participants are also required to complete a brick retrieval skill. Starting in the water, they will swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10 pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object, keeping their face out of the water and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Participants will tread for 2 minutes without using their arms.
- Participants that do not pass the prerequisites will not be permitted to continue any further in the course. A participant must complete all skill requirements in order to obtain certification.
- February 22 – 24, 2013
- Friday: 5:00 – 10:00 p.m.; Saturday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; Sunday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- UREC Student Recreation Center Training & Development Room
- LSU student: $130 • UREC member: $145 • Non-member: $160
Register in person at the UREC Student Recreation Center Operations Desk or with a credit card payment by calling 225.578.8601.