This Olympic Weightlifting Workshop will introduce the three primary lifts (Snatch, Clean and Jerk) of Olympic Weightlifting. Participants will learn in a practical setting how the snatch, clean, and jerk. All bring speed, power, coordination, agility, accuracy and balance to their current strength training. The course will be a taught by Matt Bruce, a certified USA Weightlifting Sports Performance Coach.
Matt Bruce is leading the Olympic Weightlifting Workshop, and brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to the EVOLVE Symposium.
Matt was born in New Orleans, LA and moved to Baton Rouge, LA at the age of 13 to attend school at Catholic High School. While here for his 8th grade year, Matt began lifting under legendary Coach Gayle Hatch to get stronger and faster for the football team. Matt fell in love with weightlifting and throughout the course of his 17 year career, he became one of the most decorated Olympic weightlifting athletes in the country.
Since retiring in 2012 from competition, Matt has transitioned into coaching his barbell club, Bruce Barbell, and is the Olympic weightlifting coach and co-owner for the online programming team at Brute Strength. Matt graduated from Louisiana State University with a Master’s degree in Sports Management and also teaches Special Education full-time for a local school district.
Matt’s accomplishments include:
- 7-time World Team Member
- National Champion
- American Open Champion and Best Lifter
- Multiple-Time International Medalist
- 2008 USA Olympic Team Alternate
- 2012 USA Olympic Team Alternate
- Best Snatch of 152 kg (334 lbs.)
- Best Clean and Jerk of 192 kg (422 lbs.)
- Location: UREC Powerlifting Area
- Date: Friday April 6, 2018
- Time: 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Prices: $45
- This workshop is reserved for EVOLVE Fitness Symposium Registrants only.